In the late 1800's, The Wellwood Yacht and Country Club was originally a private hunting and fishing club hosting such notable politicians and businessmen as Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, and Joe Cannon. In fact, in the "Duck Room", one can see a wooden eagle which was originally part of the hand carved bar that was reputed to have been presented to the Wellwood by Teddy Roosevelt. The second floor of The Wellwood holds rooms named for States that had sent letters to the Club, requesting that a room be named after their state so that their representative would have a place to call "home". Some of the letters can be viewed in the "Fireplace Dining Room". The yacht club survived almost 130 years till it faded out in the mid 1980's. In 2005, four yachtsmen and their ladies were asked to re-institute the yacht club in the spirit of the club's Creed: "....An organization of optimists and humanitarians in the broadest sense... It's purpose is to promote the HAPPY HABIT: To reduce the friction of life to a minimum and increase the pleasure of existence to the maximum; To discourage strife and promote good fellowship." When prospective members apply, they sign a pledge to be active and helpful members. they also agree to aid their fellow members and officers to make all affairs, cruises, and parties a success.
The current WYC, as it stands, is not affiliated with the Wellwood Restaurant. WYC is a splinter from the original club in 1935.